Thursday, April 5, 2012

'A' is for....April...and Alphabet!

I know you wouldn't think it from these two photos, but my two girls are so dissimilar!  I know our family is not alone in this respect - pretty much every parent I speak to says the same thing.  So, it should have come as no surprise to me that along with different personalities, interests, sleep habits and medication reactions, we'd also see different learning styles.  


Our firstborn asks a million questions - this started a few days after she turned 1yo with, "What's that?".  Now at 6yo she tells me how she wants to know everything about everything (in recent years I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll never know everything about everything)!!  She asks, practices, gets frustrated, practices some more and then she gets it.  Pretty simple, really - a joy to teach as you know what she knows and what she wants to know; and it's pretty clear she's ready to learn.  She also has a "leader" personality - so she's also constantly "teaching" her little sister how to do things (no, I didn't just call her bossy...).

Teaching her sister how to write
The second owlet in the nest is a surprise package.  She's sneaky.  So very sneaky.  She'll watch, observe (this may be considered stalking...?), assimilating all that she sees, then.....BAM!  Just when you least expect it she'll write some letters, complete a tricky puzzle, unlock the front door, or cut out a picture she's drawn with the precision of a laser cutter.  She's sneaky!  I do think she knows a whole lot more than she's letting on!!  Not that she plays dumb, but I think she's just more relaxed about it all and realises she has a lifetime to learn things and doesn't have to know it all right NOW!



Problem is, that while I'm constantly busy teaching #1 everything about everything because she's asking about everything, #2 doesn't ask...so we kind of forget to teach her things!!  Oops!  Good thing she's on the ball!!  It really makes me feel quite remiss as a parent, although I know underneath it all she's doing that sneaky, sneaky thing and she'll just keep surprising us.  However, in an effort to at least feel like I'm doing something useful, my plan is this month to sew an alphabet with her.  I got this great idea from the Chez Beeper Bebe blog and found Holly's tutorial here.  Don't they look like fun!!

Photo credit: Holly Keller.
 
It's such a multi-faceted project - I teach my children how to sew, I get to use up my fabric scraps (well, some of them), my youngest child gets to learn about letters and I get to feel like a worthy parent again.  I'll show our progress along the way and hopefully get her spelling out something other than 'poo', 'bum' or 'pop' at the end of it all. 

Lori xo

No comments:

Post a Comment