Thursday, March 22, 2012

Are you a morning person?

So, perhaps the name Little Brown Owl may lead you to believe I'm some kind of nocturnal being.  I'm not.  It really could not be further from the truth!  I've noticed that we're generally categorised as either a night owl or an early bird, and for many years I just wasn't sure where I fitted.  I couldn't (still can't) do late nights; loved (still love) to sleep all night; and didn't care for rising too early (still no).  Mid-morning wasn't too bad, but by early afternoon I truly believed siestas should be the national sport of our country.  As you can well imagine, motherhood had some rude shocks in store for me!!

What's more, I'm a fairly stereotypical Virgo and have a scientific mind, so the desire to fit into a classification, a category, a group when one existed was unrelenting, although never actually necessary.  My recent ...umm, ahem... completely scientific empirical research into all this led to me devising a few personal "rules", including:
  • Do not knit when tired (the results are usually disastrous and always require any work undertaken during such tiredness to be totally ripped back and done over!),  and
  • Go to bed by 10pm. 

I'm not sure if tattooing these rules onto a prominent body part would make me more inclined to follow them, or if I'm merely destined to break them forever and regret it every following day. However, I think I'm content enough to avoid the ink for the time being.

Along the way I have come to the conclusion that I'm just not a night owl, so I am attempting to embrace the idea of being an early bird...although not to the detriment of my precious limited night-time sleep, thank-you very much!  I've always disliked the jolting entrance to wakefulness that comes from using an alarm clock; however, I've decided to suck it up and have mine set for 30 minutes earlier than I naturally rise.  While my owlets still snooze I'll be breathing in the crisp morning air as I walk laps of the driveway and get some outside chores done.  I'll be basking in the serenity (momentarily broken as each truck drives by), watching the sun rise, and re-connecting with my surroundings.  Well, that's the plan, anyway!


You can see above just a glimpse of what I saw this morning, before coming inside and getting bed-warm morning cuddles from my two sleepy-heads.  Now here is a glimpse of what comes next for today - a chocolate cake for other people to eat and a sweet cardigan that needs to have buttons sewn on and be packaged up and posted for someone else to wear.  :D  I'm really looking forward to my morning me-time again tomorrow.



But enough about me and my circadian rhythm quirks, what about you? Are you a morning person?


No comments:

Post a Comment